- Written by Past Captain's Secretary
It is with regret that having considered the latest advice it has been decided to
1. Cancel all planned meetings until further notice
2. The match v ERYRI has been postponed as per the email earlier from Glyn
3. The Annual Breakaway has been cancelled. Roy will be in touch with delegate/members to arrange deposit refunds
4. The Knockout for 2020 has been cancelled
5. A decision on all other fixtures will be taken nearer the dates and updates will be emailed as and when further government advice is announced.
Could all delegates keep me updated as to what the situation is at ‘host’ clubs for proposed fixtures throughout the year.
Outstanding Subscriptions for 2020
Could delegates please forward any further subs received to Roy as soon as possible either by cheque or bank transfer into the Associations Account – the detail of which are as follows:-
Sort Code: 40-24-27
Account Name: Flintshire Golf Captains’ & Past Captains’ Association
Account No: 71107992
Thank you for your understanding in these difficult times
Stay safe & keep well
Flintshire Golf Captains’ & Past Captains’ Association
Tel: 01352 840440
Tel Home: 01824 70715
Tel Mobile: 07769 911313
- Written by Super User
Flintshire Golf Captains & Past Captains Association held their AGM at Holywell Golf Club on Monday 27th January. As part of the AGM, the association elects its Captain for the coming year and this year Ray Lewis, a past captain and president of Holywell Golf Club, was elected for 2020. The picture shows Ray left receiving the Captain’s Putter from the outgoing Captain, Tony Godden of Northop Golf Club.
- Written by Secretary
I have still not been able to source the history behind the playing and naming of this event apart from it being originally started when Adam was a lad and my predecessor, Jim Illingworth and Match Secretary, Alan Ryland, felt that we should incorporate a Team event into our schedule so the Calcutta Cup was born but not to be played at Twickenham or Murrayfield and it has remained ever since!
This year's event was held in Flint in some glorious weather with the Flint members giving us their usual warm welcome - especially in the re-decoration of the Lounge area giving it a bright and airy atmosphere albeit without the supply of their famous Mild which I always looked forward to - J2O is not a good substitute is it? Also I must pay tribute to Marc's Mum for the fantastic Roast Dinner she laid on - superb.
11 Teams took part and despite initial 'chunnering' regarding Glyn's benevolence or meaness the allocation of an extra 4 points to be added to the score of the 3 Three Man Teams proved to be decisive as the Winning Team of Gareth Williams (Flint), Grant McIndoe (Rhuddlan) and Ivor Pye (Holywell) benefitted by gratefully accepting the 'bonus to lift their final score to 83 points ahead of another trio of Ronnie Ierston (Flint), Wynford Davies (Rhuddlan) and Kevin Leech (Holywell) on 80 just pipping the four man combo of the host Captain Andy Noble(Flint), Ian Darlington (Old Padeswood), Trevor Sharp (Pennant Park) and Rob Vickery (St.Melyd) on a Card-play-off.
In the absence of Birdie 2's Glyn (reluctantly!) conducted a card draw to dispose of his prize-winning Balls (no comments please)
'Young' Cyril Wilson was unable to add to his accolades blaming a puncture on his buggy - a poor excuse really, it was only flat at the bottom!
- Written by Secretary
I'm very sorry to have report the passing of one of our long serving Members, Cliff Machin, Past Captain of Old Padeswood GC. Cliff was very active with us in earlier days when he served as Captain (1981) , President (1993) of Old Padeswood and was also made a Honorary Life Member of the Club.
He was elected as Association Captain in 1986 and always retained a keen interest in our activities.
Provisional arrangements for Cliff's Funeral arrangements have been made for Friday 12th April at Blacon Crematorium at10.40.
- Written by Match Secretary
Four Ball Better Ball Knockout Competition
1. Mode of Play Better Ball Stableford played over 18 holes.
2. Maximum Handicap-24. Play off Yellow Tees.
3. Handicap Allowance-9/10 of Full handicap
4. Draw-First Named to be Home pair. It is responsibility of both pairs to try and make arrangements for the Match.
5. Closing Dates will be strictly adhered to. If a Match has not been completed or a concession agreed both pairs will be eliminated.
6. When a Match has been completed it is the responsibility of the Winning Pair to notify the Match Secretary or the Secretary of the result.
7. The Winning Pair will be the pair with the Highest Better Ball Total Stableford Score after 18 Holes. In the event of a tie a card play off will decide the result viz. Back 9, back 6, back 3 etc.
8. Any disputes to be referred to the Match Secretary whose decision will be deemed as final.
9. It has been decided that there will be no entry fee charged this year but any Green Fees charged should be divided between the pairs involved. Some Clubs have granted us Courtesy of the Course for any Matches played on their Course. Players should check with Clubs before their Match.
10. If a Player has to withdraw for reasons considered genuine he can be replaced providing his pairing has not played a match before his withdrawal. The Match Secretary must be informed of any proposed change/s before the next match.
11.In the event of the partial closure of a Coursebecause of adverse weather or Course conditions teams concerned should agree, BEFORE teeing off, the duration of their Match. Suggested alternatives are-(a) Play the number of holes that are open with the result being decided on completion of those holes. (b) Play the number of holes that are open and then play play extra holes that are open to make up the 18. These holes should be selected in card order irrespective of Stroke Index etc. and should be started at the first available and be played in the order on the card.
In the event of a card play-off being required to decide the result this should be based on the last 9,6,3 etc actually played as normal procedure.